Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Necessity, the mother of invention ....

It seems that there are many things that my daughter needs that are either uber expensive or they do not exist at all.


For example her platform swing.  The they cost about $300 or more in the online stores that I have found which is crazy.  Yes, I could try and get one through Early Intervention but if I did that I would wait for ever.  Her annual was at the beginning of March and almost 4 months later we still do not have any of the stuff they wanted to get for her nor is there any indication if when these items will magically appear.


My dad and I build Emma her own platform swing in about 2 hours one evening for about $60 dollars using the directions that we found on line here:

http://lovingamiracle.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-do-you-make-platform-swing.html



















Her therapist and I think it came out great!  We tweaked it a little bit and added carpet but otherwise her directions are great!

  • Emma also needs a little assistance walking for balance, so I build the Indoor Emma track: 

I installed wooden dowels across walkways 


and doorways

I attached a play yard to the wall so she will not slip and has something to hold on to.


Now she can safely navigate her way through the house, yay Emma!


  • I also decided that an Outdoor Emma track was needed so that she could walk around and join in the action outside.   It was super easy and cheap.  The pvc pipe was only $2 for 10 feet!


































We used rope around parts of the yard where it was not practical to install fencing or railings.  




Now  she can navigate the whole outside area and inside of the house!

  • One of Emma;s stereotypical hand movements is that she brings her right hand up and bites her wrist and forearm.  I was pretty sure that I would hop on Amazon and buy something to protect her skin but there was absolutely nothing to buy!

Emmy and big sister







So I decided to use foam toy building blocks.  The one that have a hole in them I just use a kitchen knife and cut the corners and what not off until I get a fairly round shape to it and then I have a bracelet that will protect her arm.  People ask me all the time where I got them, its crazy!




















I also took apart the chewbeads that they make for mothers of teething babies and re-strung them on the dog-tag style chain and sized them to her wrist.  I had them on elastic at first but it rolled up her arm and wasn't useful, I was also afraid it would cut off her circulation.






Those are my creative projects, thus far ......

No comments:

Post a Comment